Subject:
Brikwars TL6 Initial Details (6/15/02?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 16:56:47 GMT

After last night's meeting, I think we've hit upon a widely-approved of idea
for the next BW game.  A TL6 game, with a modularly-constructed layout.  I'll
be posting a picture of the standardized interconnections as soon as I can get
them into LDRAW, but here's the basic idea:

Everybody will need to bring at least 1 (and preferably a couple) of "modules",
which will then be assembled into the compelte layout.  As this is a TL6 game,
we'd like each module to have a somewhat space-ish feel to it; ideally, the
idea is to have these all attached together in a meandering fashion, so as to
simulate the interior of some huge derelict spaceship or a space base or some
such.

Each module will need to be built on a 32x32 baseplate, or some multiple
thereof.  The walls will only need to be about six bricks high, enough to
clear the top of the figs' heads.  The only real constraint is that the
doorways, as I mentioned above, will have to be somewhat standardized.  It
won't be anything complicated, I promise - most likely just that each module
will need to have at least two doors, located in any of eight possible
(symmetric) locations around the baseplate's perimeter.  Anyway, more details
on that will be forthcoming.

Anyway, this is a very open proposal, which allows for lots of creativity.
Some ideas I came up with off the top of my head:

* Navigation Room - lots of computers and work stations, maps and charts
* Engine Rooms - lots and lots of big scary equipment
* Storage Rooms - Duh
* Hangers - Anybody have one of those space landing pad baseplates?  I'm
picturing a landed ship (that can't take off since it's indoors), some small
maintenance vehicle, fuel tanks .... ahhhh, the stuff Brikwarrior dreams are
made of!
* Cryo Chambers
* Laboratories
* Mess Halls
* BioContainment Facilities
* Hydroponics
* Exercise Rooms
* Library or Movie Theater Room
* Bunkroom
* Maintenance Areas
* Observation Deck
* Cargo Bay
* Machining Room
* Bridge/cockpit

... and so on and so forth.  Let your imagination run wild.  If you want, call
dibs on a room and make sure that no one else does it.  The game isn't for a
month, so everybody who's interested should have plenty of time to throw
together a couple of modules, effectively contributing to one amazing looking
TL6 layout!  Don't forget to add your hoses and wires, consoles and crates,
doodads and dontdads, geegaws and greeblies!  For ideas about how things might
look, think about "Aliens" or "Star Wars", "Star Trek" or "The Matrix".
Mmmmmmmmm, interior greeblification.

Don't forget, look over the BW2001 rules - there are some cool additions,
including alternate species.

There is a scenario currently under development - details on that should be
available by the end of the week.  Perhaps we should consider specifying the
teams early again, to promote trash talking.  Sadly, preliminary reports
indicate the Eric K. may not be able to make it that weekend (15th-16th), which
is unfortunate as he is an excellent trash talker.  Of course, there's always
the weekend of June 29th ...

-s

... now returning you to your reasonable-length postings