Re: train show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 21:12:21 GMT

Train shows are not LEGO's "window" they are the clubs "window".  My question
is why should we try so hard to promote LEGO sets?  I don't see any of the
other clubs trying to promote Bachmann, Pola, Atlas, or other products so why
should put the effort in to promote LEGO products?  To me the layout is
promotion enough.

How about Lionel, Hornby Doblo, Triang, Trix Twin, ect?  The "fan" layouts are
almost exclusively of one manufacturer, and do promote the stuff- although 3 of
the 4 mentioned above are now defunct :(

I actually think that one of the best things TLC could do would be to hire
someone to follow the train shows as a vendor like some other companys do.  If
that were the case then we could point people to them when the inevitable
questions come and they can point people to us to see what can be done with a
little imagination.  Now TLC might not think this would be a profitable idea
but if thats the case they are not looking at the bigger picture.  This would
not just serve to sell some sets and accessories but to advertise S@H as well.

How many times have we all heard "I didn't know LEGO made trains" then you • give
the history and you get a frown when you say it is only available via mail
order?  Buy having a vendor table at the shows TLC would sell some sets but
more importantly get the word out about S@H and LEGO.com.

(snipped stats)

Yep.  I know that at least one person out west did investigate being a seller
table at train shows with a Lego layout, but ran into Lego's whole thing of
"you MUST have a fixed store to order Lego (sets) from Lego (company)"

(I'd add that I think that if one was very shrued, one could manage it without
TLG's consent by buying 4561's from Target, and reselling them-if you could
afford the outlay to get enough to have a decent quantity.  I make a simple kit
that would work well as a add on, but the big killer would be track- you have a
single source (S@H) that you could not get cheaper than from...which SUCKS!)

James