Re: train show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 19:23:48 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Frank Filz writes:
Mike Walsh wrote:

This is exactly the point I was trying to make, Sheree just made it more
concisely.  I am by no means an advocate of simply displaying TLC sets.
Integrating them into an overall layout does make sense to me.  If we want
to encourage others (of any age) then having some TLC stuff makes sense to
me.  I like Larry's idea of a modified 4561.  It would also be nice if LEGO
had a one page train catalog (like the one included in the 7835 I got
recently).  It could be used as a handout so people could see what is
currently available from LEGO.  Even if we don't think much of the current
train selection, a brochure (data sheet?) would still be useful.

I also agree that it's a good idea to have some referents that people
can recognize. I was also just thinking that the Castle display at TCS
had some stock sets in it (of course that display was also being done
for a store which obviously has a desire to make a clear connection to
what you can actually buy in the store).

You are correct in that the TCS display did have some stock sets but as you say
that was kind of the point and it is their window after all.

Train shows are not LEGO's "window" they are the clubs "window".  My question
is why should we try so hard to promote LEGO sets?  I don't see any of the
other clubs trying to promote Bachmann, Pola, Atlas, or other products so why
should put the effort in to promote LEGO products?  To me the layout is
promotion enough.

I actually think that one of the best things TLC could do would be to hire
someone to follow the train shows as a vendor like some other companys do.  If
that were the case then we could point people to them when the inevitable
questions come and they can point people to us to see what can be done with a
little imagination.  Now TLC might not think this would be a profitable idea
but if thats the case they are not looking at the bigger picture.  This would
not just serve to sell some sets and accessories but to advertise S@H as well.

How many times have we all heard "I didn't know LEGO made trains" then you give
the history and you get a frown when you say it is only available via mail
order?  Buy having a vendor table at the shows TLC would sell some sets but
more importantly get the word out about S@H and LEGO.com.

Actually I have a Greenberg Newsletter that has some interesting statistics in
it.

Survery Resondents told Greenberg:

They purchase the majority of hobby products at a:
31% Greenberg show
30% Hobby stores
14% Mail order
13% Other train shows
7%  Internet
2%  Live auctions

That tells me that TLC would be served well to sell the entire line at shows
and in more traditional Hobby Stores.  I doubt that they would do that but they
would be served well if they did IMO.

Also:

Primary rreason for attending shows:
85% Purchase Hobby Products
7%  See operating Layouts
6%  Bring Children/Grandchildren to the show

Another good reason for TLC to market their products with a vendor booth at
shows.

I think it's important to not intimidate the audience. I sometimes
wonder if the GMLTC setup could have a negative impact in that people
look at it, think about how many bricks are in it, and decide, "Oh well,
no chance I'll ever have of having anything close to that, I guess I'll
stick to my Bachman train set." On the other hand, obviously folks with
huge collections shouldn't be discouraged from doing really wondrous
things just because they might scare someone off (I certainly haven't
been scared off from trains by the magnitude of the GMLTC modules even
though I realize I probably will never build a layout that way, and most
likely won't even build a module that way).

As I think Sheree said, kids are not intimitated buy what they see.  I have a 6
year old nephew who is constantly telling be "I could do that".

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/