Re: train show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 05:10:20 GMT

Mike Walsh wrote:

This is exactly the point I was trying to make, Sheree just made it more
concisely.  I am by no means an advocate of simply displaying TLC sets.
Integrating them into an overall layout does make sense to me.  If we want
to encourage others (of any age) then having some TLC stuff makes sense to
me.  I like Larry's idea of a modified 4561.  It would also be nice if LEGO
had a one page train catalog (like the one included in the 7835 I got
recently).  It could be used as a handout so people could see what is
currently available from LEGO.  Even if we don't think much of the current
train selection, a brochure (data sheet?) would still be useful.

I also agree that it's a good idea to have some referents that people
can recognize. I was also just thinking that the Castle display at TCS
had some stock sets in it (of course that display was also being done
for a store which obviously has a desire to make a clear connection to
what you can actually buy in the store).

I think it's important to not intimidate the audience. I sometimes
wonder if the GMLTC setup could have a negative impact in that people
look at it, think about how many bricks are in it, and decide, "Oh well,
no chance I'll ever have of having anything close to that, I guess I'll
stick to my Bachman train set." On the other hand, obviously folks with
huge collections shouldn't be discouraged from doing really wondrous
things just because they might scare someone off (I certainly haven't
been scared off from trains by the magnitude of the GMLTC modules even
though I realize I probably will never build a layout that way, and most
likely won't even build a module that way).

Frank