Re: train show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.org.us.nclug
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 03:42:54 GMT

"sheree rosenkrantz" <srosez@hotmail.com> wrote in message

[ ... snipped ... ]

A 4561 before and after a make-over would be informative.  Would show the
actual jumping off point for the more sophisticated creations.  Also would
show  how this set (and Lego) can grow with the child and continue to hold
interest and not be aged out of.

I am interested in seeing what y'all in michlug end up doing regarding • this
for your show and knowing what the the *real* trainheads of nclug [that
would be everyone but me :-) ] think/decide about this for our show in • June.
A display that Wows'em  starts the thinking/dreaming, but a 4561 can get
them building and hooked.    4561 on a notecard with the  S@H 1-800 # is a
simple doable answer for the parent that asks in a whisper while their • child
is mesmerized by the display , "what set do I buy? and where can I buy • it?"
An a la carte string of set #s is not  the answer I would want in this
situation.  Once they are on the S@H mailing list they can see the only
limits are imagination (and money...)

All I am really saying is that it could be nice to have a single 4561 • built
per the actual instructions to show how easily and economically one can
start.  [The first purchase is the most difficult one.  After the initial
purchase stopping is the problem...]

sheree

I have to agree with Sheree on this.  I think it is important to have the
currently available set on display, running, whatever, so people can get an
idea of what they can actually buy.  4565 would be a good choice but my
guess is that if it hasn't reached end of life, it is close.  S@H is
currently back ordered, I think I could have sold half a dozen of them at
Christmas this year if I still had any more (which I do but not for sale).
IMHO a good LEGO display has a mix of MOC buildings and rolling stock along
with actual LEGO sets.  If people recognize things they already have in a
display in reduces their barrier to entry.

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com