Re: train show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 02:40:39 GMT

Normally with the NGLTC shows we have three elements to our display areas.
First there is the layout itself taking up the majority of the allocated
space, then there is the Kids Railway and last we have a couple of
information tables (also where our video monitor for the camera cars lives).
Here we have some much needed chairs for members to rest their feet, but
also we have some of the out of the box sets displayed (4561, 4559, 4565) a
loop of running track, club fliers and have added coupons from the LEGO
Outlet store.

I think the information tables provide a valuable service to the display as
a whole. It gives the visitors a place to feel comfortable to learn more
about the LEGO train line and what the hobby is all about. Also I think it
helps the public see what can be done with some imagination, first they see
the standard sets then they see the layout and realize that you take the
trains beyond what is in the boxes.

jt

--
James J. Trobaugh
North Georgia LEGO Train Club
John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote in message

Eric Kingsley wrote:

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Mike Walsh writes:

All I am really saying is that it could be nice to have a single 4561
built per the actual instructions to show how easily and economically • one
can start.  [The first purchase is the most difficult one.  After the
initial purchase stopping is the problem...]

sheree

I have to agree with Sheree on this.  I think it is important to have • the
currently available set on display, running, whatever, so people can • get an
idea of what they can actually buy.  4565 would be a good choice but my
guess is that if it hasn't reached end of life, it is close.  S@H is
currently back ordered, I think I could have sold half a dozen of them • at
Christmas this year if I still had any more (which I do but not for • sale).
IMHO a good LEGO display has a mix of MOC buildings and rolling stock • along
with actual LEGO sets.  If people recognize things they already have in • a
display in reduces their barrier to entry.

Well I just happened to catch this post and because I have a definite • opinion
on this I thought I would but in.  BTW I think this is an unpopular • opinion.

As to having actual LEGO sets as part of a train show layout I say • phooey!!!  I
could care less about advertising LEGO's stuff, thats there job IMHO.

I understand where you are coming from, Eric.  We at the GMLTC don't • display any
stock stuff at all, either.  But I think that we (TLC and LTCs) are in • this thing
together, if not officially.  And I won't be surprised if TLC decides to • take an
active role in supporting LTCs in the future.

I like your idea of having a box of current train sets handy when the • inevitable
questions come about what is available, etc.  Perhaps even having the sets
assembled to further illuminate would be nice (but have them "behind the • curtain"
until needed).  I could easily see doing that much.

We have to keep reminding ourselves that the current offerings are *entry • level*
sets aimed at younger kids.  Calling them "junk" is missing that point. • Even if
TLC releases DCC, new track, etc tomorrow, they *still* will need sets • which cater
to neophytes.

-J2

We
(NELUG) did have a 4561 box ready to show people what they could buy but • as far
as the layout goes I say we can do better so why display their stuff • which is
unrecognizable as a prototype train and IMO looks like junk.

Now is LEGO were to pay us to run/display their stuff I guess I would • have to
consider it and truthfully the only reason I see to have the 4561 box is • to
make answering the question easier.

I actually think putting actual sets on the layout detracts from the • quality of
the display for the simple reason that we can do so much better.

I am sure some will counter my opinion on this and thats OK.  I would • actually
like to get into a debate about it because I feel strongly that we • should not
display TLC sets (although one of our members did display a 4.5v set 182 • at our
last show but that was different seeing it boarders on being an • antique).

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/