Re: train show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 01:34:13 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Mike Walsh writes:

All I am really saying is that it could be nice to have a single 4561
built per the actual instructions to show how easily and economically one
can start.  [The first purchase is the most difficult one.  After the
initial purchase stopping is the problem...]

sheree

I have to agree with Sheree on this.  I think it is important to have the
currently available set on display, running, whatever, so people can get an
idea of what they can actually buy.  4565 would be a good choice but my
guess is that if it hasn't reached end of life, it is close.  S@H is
currently back ordered, I think I could have sold half a dozen of them at
Christmas this year if I still had any more (which I do but not for sale).
IMHO a good LEGO display has a mix of MOC buildings and rolling stock along
with actual LEGO sets.  If people recognize things they already have in a
display in reduces their barrier to entry.

Well I just happened to catch this post and because I have a definite opinion
on this I thought I would but in.  BTW I think this is an unpopular opinion.

As to having actual LEGO sets as part of a train show layout I say phooey!!!

I didn't state what I meant very clearly... when I said a 4561 built per
instructions I meant the just the actual train, not the set.  The box is
enough to show that some track and the controler is included.
One lousey ;-) little 4561 running around a big train layout couldn't
detract that much.  While I'm guessing you wouldn't care for this either?,
it is a bit different than displaying the set as a isolated whole.

could care less about advertising LEGO's stuff, thats there job IMHO.

Agreed. :-)   I do enough work that I don't get paid for already. My concern
is for the clueless but enthusiatic parent/child team (uh, my peer group),
who wants a way to enter into this wonderful world of Lego trains.

We
(NELUG) did have a 4561 box ready to show people what they could buy but as far
as the layout goes I say we can do better so why display their stuff which is
unrecognizable as a prototype train and IMO looks like junk.

Now is LEGO were to pay us to run/display their stuff I guess I would have to
consider it and truthfully the only reason I see to have the 4561 box is to
make answering the question easier.

That's the reason for the actual train.  Some of us have trouble translating
the 2-d to 3-d.  Also, it is easier to show a child the  actual train he/she
could get.  If all the child sees are the exquisite mocs and then the parent
gets the child a 4561 ...well, not a good situation.  However, if the ugly
duckling is presented and some possibilities that can come from it are also
shown, it becomes a different situation.   Parent can say, "This is where we
start, but  we could ....someday.... maybe.... build something as wonderful
as these...."

I actually think putting actual sets on the layout detracts from the quality of
the display for the simple reason that we can do so much better.

I am sure some will counter my opinion on this and thats OK.  I would actually
like to get into a debate about it because I feel strongly that we should not
display TLC sets

I'm not for displaying sets as "sets".  I am for incorporating in a display
some recognizable segments of a few currrent sets as a "where could I start
lure" to get more people involved.  Some may view this as one and the same,
but I think the difference is  significant.

sheree

(although one of our members did display a 4.5v set 182 at our
last show but that was different seeing it boarders on being an antique).

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/