Re: train show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 01:45:41 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, John Neal writes:
<snip>

Well I just happened to catch this post and because I have a definite
opinion on this I thought I would but in.  BTW I think this is an unpopular
opinion.

As to having actual LEGO sets as part of a train show layout I say phooey!!!
I could care less about advertising LEGO's stuff, thats there job IMHO.

I understand where you are coming from, Eric.  We at the GMLTC don't display
any stock stuff at all, either.  But I think that we (TLC and LTCs) are in
this thing together, if not officially.  And I won't be surprised if TLC
decides to take an active role in supporting LTCs in the future.

I can definitely see TLC taking (or at least trying to take) a more active role
in the future.  Whether they do or not is up to them and how they present it.
It could be presented in such a way that some/all groups would rather not.

Also a bit of symantics but NELUG is not an LTC per se and we don't intend on
forming a separate LTC either.  Therefore I hope TLC's role is one that targets
groups that do public events rather then just groups that do train shows
exclusively.

I like your idea of having a box of current train sets handy when the
inevitable questions come about what is available, etc.  Perhaps even having
the sets assembled to further illuminate would be nice (but have them "behind
the curtain" until needed).  I could easily see doing that much.

Like I said we do it mostly to make answering the question of "What can you
buy" easier.  Now if TLC were to give us a display and something for our
trouble I think we could do more but again that is up to them.

We have to keep reminding ourselves that the current offerings are *entry
level* sets aimed at younger kids.  Calling them "junk" is missing that point.
Even if TLC releases DCC, new track, etc tomorrow, they *still* will need sets
which cater to neophytes.

I do understand what you are saying.  I meant "junk" more in relation to our
MOC's than taken as is.  Taken as is they are great to get kids into LEGO
trains I just wish there were some variety so kids would have a choice.  Plus
having a train kids would recognize as something they might see in real life
wouldn't hurt.

As for sets that "cater to neophytes" I again don't care all that much.  Maybe
for someone progressing along the path to doing there own MOC's and would like
some ideas.  But for me and I would guess a large portion of the community here
the satisfaction comes from creating something from scratch not from buying a
set to display.

Now DCC would be cool.  Just call it Mindstorms for Trains.  A bit wider radius
of curved track would be nice as well.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/