Re: train show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 19:39:32 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Eric Kingsley writes:
As I think Sheree said, kids are not intimitated buy what they see.  I have
a 6 year old nephew who is constantly telling be "I could do that".

I can totally relate to that statement.  When I worked at the LEGO
Imagination Center, I would hear that all the time.  Parent & child would
look at one of our displays, parent would say "That's impossible", child
would look carefully and say "If *I* had the pieces, I could build that..."

I was talking to a kid at one of the train shows where the GMLTC was
displaying.  He said that he didn't have nearly enough pieces to build a
layout.  I said "do you have a shoebox?  You could turn that into a tunnel
by cutting off the ends."  He got this look like "you can do that?" - I
patiently told him that you don't HAVE to use LEGO when you create a train
layout, you can use anything you want and have.  We just happen to have a
LOT of bricks, so that's what we use - we would never expect every person
who sees our layout to have nearly as many pieces as we do.  I could see the
spark in his eye!  Who knows?  Maybe he went out and got a LEGO train set?
I can only hope!

JohnG, GMLTC