Re: Advanced Design Train Roundhouse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 14:44:37 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Wayne Sardullo writes:
I also planned for that one special steam train of mine to be in the
Roundhouse. Only issue is that its ALOT longer then two straight tracks. In
turn, I decided to make the entry way and Bay 6 a straight-thru bay so, I can
have my Steamer parked inside if need be. The Beast extends one of the bays
about 2 1/2 times longer then the others. I realize now how big a task this is
going to be.

;-))
Who said it would be a one week projekt?

Without a doubt this is a table on its own. Thats actually a good
thing though because it will allow me to submerge the gears and turntable
underneath and not have to raise everything.

But at this point I wanted to throw in another hint:
- Do you think a turntable of 32 Studs is enough for all of your engines (and
the ones you might build in future? (But as long as your bays are not longer
than 32 studs this should be ok...)

I would go 48 if I could. But I should hasten to point out that it is
prototypical for engines not to fit on the turntable in US practice. It
happened fairly frequently.

That's true.  I'd recommend 48 if LUCNY had real estate right now to display
Wayne's design, but we don't.  I think starting with a 32 would be
prototypical and fit our table design.

The most common solution was to service the engine in the stall that was
directly across from the approach track (or lay multiple approach tracks to
make more than one stall accessible).

Other tricks included letting the engine hang off the edges (as long as the
wheels themselves were all on the bridge track, the pilot and tender coupler
could overhang no problem) and worse, decoupling the tender. Engines can
move without their tenders briefly... but that's an in extremis move as it
takes some time to decouple a tender (water lines need disconnecting, and
worse, if you have a power stoker it may be a more than 1 hour job to decouple)

Yes, that's also true.  Steamtown's table is large, but they use several
approach tracks as you describe, and the operation is still time consuming.
Fascinating to watch.

One last question on roundhouses in general: are there still roundhouses in >use in the US?
Here they have died out short after the end of the steam era. That means they
have been built in general for steam engines and you have nearly never seen a
diesel in a roundhouse.

First generation diesels were commonly seen in roundhouses. But no new
roundhouses have been built in over 50 years IIRC, and I don't believe any
roundhouse is still in service on a Class 1 line. (someone will no doubt dig
up a counter example, there is a prototype of everything in railroading!)

Lots of tourist lines use them of course but that doesn't count.

Right.  Including Steamtown's line.  It's off the Class 1 lines these days.

Some small (2-4 stall) roundhouses were retained by removing the bridge and
pit, filling them in, and laying turnouts in their place. But that was rare.
More economical to use a modern straight in shop facility.

Transfer tables are getting rarer too.