Re: Advanced Design Train Roundhouse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 16:13:10 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Wayne Sardullo writes:
I also planned for that one special steam train of mine to be in the
Roundhouse. Only issue is that its ALOT longer then two straight tracks. In
turn, I decided to make the entry way and Bay 6 a straight-thru bay so, I can
have my Steamer parked inside if need be. The Beast extends one of the bays
about 2 1/2 times longer then the others. I realize now how big a task this is
going to be.

;-))
Who said it would be a one week projekt?

You'd be suprised, sometimes 24 hours is all I need.

Without a doubt this is a table on its own. Thats actually a good
thing though because it will allow me to submerge the gears and turntable
underneath and not have to raise everything.

But at this point I wanted to throw in another hint:
- Do you think a turntable of 32 Studs is enough for all of your engines (and
the ones you might build in future? (But as long as your bays are not longer
than 32 studs this should be ok...)

I agree with you, I did some thinking about this and as I mentioned built into
the design a method for a LONGER then 32 stud engine. Looking at all my
engines, It seems that I keep the wheel span within 32 studs from front wheel
to back wheel. While I have one or two Engines that span 36 Studs the wheels
sit within the distance to turn on a 32 stud(Two Straight Track) design.

Have you done some testruns with different engines over the gaps in the track:
in my eyes these gaps between bays and turntable look quite wide. Are those
wider than 1 stud?

Actually this is what I'm excited about. The geometry of the arch(circle)
around the central turntable is perfect. Each bay track line is no more then
1/32 of an inch, just enough so when the turntable turns it just barely nicks
the track. As far as the clearance. Everything runs smoothly. Only thing I
forsee is some slight adjusting once I work on the table I can cutup and bury
the machanics.

So far the bays are taking shape. The inside are really plan now but I can
always dress them up later. I decided to use my own window design again from my
old train station. I like the look. Once I complete one of the bays I will snap
a pict. as it is now I have all the modules in a assembly line formation to
build. Making them all duplicates.

While its still no where near a
start; more layout of tracks and what the trains look like parked. At least • for
the few bays I have setup. Still need to add 6 more bays.

One last question on roundhouses in general: are there still roundhouses in use
in the US?
Here they have died out short after the end of the steam era. That means they
have been built in general for steam engines and you have nearly never seen a
diesel in a roundhouse.

I believe one or two might exist but, damned if I know where. As far as housing
Diesel in Steam Roundhouse. Yeah, but the idea is without a doubt the best way
to bring every side of lego into a layout. Technic, Town, Train....

Cheer,
Wayne

Regards,

Ben