Re: Advanced Design Train Roundhouse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 17:31:06 GMT

<snip>

One last question on roundhouses in general: are there still roundhouses in use
in the US?
Here they have died out short after the end of the steam era. That means they
have been built in general for steam engines and you have nearly never seen a
diesel in a roundhouse.

I believe one or two might exist but, damned if I know where. As far as housing
Diesel in Steam Roundhouse. Yeah, but the idea is without a doubt the best way
to bring every side of lego into a layout. Technic, Town, Train....

Sure there's roundhouses still in use!  About two hours south of LUCNY in
Scanton, PA:
http://www.speakeasy.org/~cwebster/steamtown/steamtown.html
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/pennsy/steamtown/
(they keep diesels out of the bays)

I've taken tours of that particular roundhouse several times, and it's
immense.  It's a real working piece of American railroading history, and I
highly recommend it.

There's also a small wooden roundhouse I've visited in Jamestown, CA at
Railtown 1897:
http://www.csrmf.org/railtown/doc.asp?id=288

...The tour guides there tried to tell me that this was the only working
roundhouse in America.  I politely nodded and acknowledged their puny wooden
contraption...but I'd alreay seem Steamtown's.  What a difference!

Anyway, just thought I'd contribute that at this point.
Ed