Re: Advanced Design Train Roundhouse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 07:53:26 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, William R. Ward writes:
"Reinhard \"Ben\" Beneke" <r.beneke@tu-bs.de> writes:
So far I am not sure how a track of only 2.33 height over ground can
be done as motorized turntable. But the MichLTC (but who from
MichLTC?) has done at least a "less then 4 high" version of a
48studs table as it seems. I hope I can "copy" and lower that in
some way.

To get the turntable as low as possible I think the key is to remove
the requirement that the motor be located under the rotating track.
Here are a couple of possibilities:

* Another possibility would be to put a "control shack" on the
turntable itself, alongside the tracks, and to have the motor
concealed in that.  So that way the motor can stick up above the
track level, but still rotate along with the tracks.

Thanks for sharing these ideas: I have had the motor outside the turntable and
had a long connecting axle hidden underneath the turntables visible floor. But
in the end this lead to my 5 bricks high solution, that I dislike.

In a beta-version before I have used a small shed on the turntable (including a
drive and a battery box.

Now I am playing with the idea to bring the motor back in there, but energy
supply through the turning point (I'm disliking cables (after 10 times
of spinning in one direction you will gert definitely into trouble). So I might
try a not 100% pure lego-solution there: with some aluminia wrap and the power
pick up from the 70ies train 12V era one should be able to design this. Only
question is again the height....

I will report here, when I done so.

Leg Godt!

Ben