Subject:
Advanced Design Train Roundhouse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 22:14:04 GMT

I've been putting a great deal of time thinging about an idea I had a while ago
when I first made an attempt to make a Roundhouse Yard for my trains. After
some issues I gave it up.  I recently thought about it again with some better
ideas on how to truely make it work correctly without help from hands so to
speak. I'd love to hear what some other people think or can contribute to ideas
on making one. Here's some of my napkin written ideas.

#1 Turntable itself - RCX controlled per bay. Since Track CANNOT be interlocked
extra power cables must be used.(The two other houses I see use this system)

#2 Lining up the tracks. I'd love to use magnets underneath the tracks similar
to how the cars hold each other together. They can create a temp locked
position for issues such as under or over shot RCX controls due to gear slack.

#3 Geometry- this one is my only real restriction since its the most important
factor in the design. 1/4 or 1/2 round house with at least 6-8 bays

#4 Layout- For reasons of placement I figure this will have to be a raised area
since I do not have the luxury of sinking the gears and linkages underneath a
table.

#5 Hinged Bricks are your friend in this design in front but, other methods are
needed in the back such that of the watertowers I see using 1x3's and 1x1 round
bricks to form a curved walls.

#6 Module building. I would love to try and make this modular say in sections
of 48 stud x 48 stud building grey plates. Is it worth the time to over design
it to make in more portable or just build it without baseplate restriction. Off
the top of my head, it obviously will be harder to use the 48studx48stud
baseplates say verse individual 16x32 stud building plates.

Most of this is still in brainstorming stage however, any input would be
fantasic.

Thanks,

Wayne