Re: Advanced Design Train Roundhouse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 08:22:44 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Ed McGlynn writes:
<snip>

Sure there's roundhouses still in use!  About two hours south of LUCNY in
Scanton, PA:
http://www.speakeasy.org/~cwebster/steamtown/steamtown.html
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/pennsy/steamtown/
(they keep diesels out of the bays)

I've taken tours of that particular roundhouse several times, and it's
immense.  It's a real working piece of American railroading history, and I
highly recommend it.

There's also a small wooden roundhouse I've visited in Jamestown, CA at
Railtown 1897:
http://www.csrmf.org/railtown/doc.asp?id=288

...The tour guides there tried to tell me that this was the only working
roundhouse in America.  I politely nodded and acknowledged their puny wooden
contraption...but I'd alreay seem Steamtown's.  What a difference!

Anyway, just thought I'd contribute that at this point.
Ed

Thanks for the links Ed!

This one is really impressing:
http://www.speakeasy.org/~cwebster/steamtown/outside2.jpg

Great to see some real designs. Most roundhouses I know are from model
railroaders...

So far I have only seen one in real live (just 30km away from here, but no
longer in use).

Regards,

Ben