Re: Advanced Design Train Roundhouse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 13:52:37 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
But the MichLTC (but who from MichLTC?)

Steve Ringe, our 8 Wide King. I will see if I can get him to reply, he
usually is too busy building to post much.

has done at
least a "less then 4 high" version of a 48studs table as it seems.
I hope I can
"copy" and lower that in some way.

(BTW: are that magnets also, or is that some mindstorms sensor?)

The turntable sequences by using mindstorms touch sensors to detect when the
table is "close" to the approach track and then uses locking pins to align
the last few degrees/fraction of a degree. What looks like magnets to you
are the locking pin reception points IIRC.

Steve put a program in to auto sequence but also gave the ability to control
the pin drive and rotation drive separately if need be, to operate you use
the Mindstorms remote to run it. (you point the remote, visible in the
remote caddy on the right, at the RCX in the center of this pic:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=106099 ... the rest of the
switches on the console are to operate the remote controlled turnouts/points
and the remote decouplers)

This module will be at the GR GATS show too.

This folder, starting at around 00090 or so, should give you detail on the
drive mechanism (although that table was from the 2001 GR GATS and was un
Mindstorm-ed, it uses the same basic drive mech)

Hope that helps.