Re: Lucnyville---The Story of a city that could
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 20:46:58 GMT

Wow, things are heating up! :)
It seems we have our own personal Castle World for Trains and Town, this
should be fun.
I Love George H's idea of an old canal.  I think if we can infuse some local
scenes in with our fictitious ones, we may please a wider audience.

(Envisioning train show)
Child:"Hey, Mom, Look, it's that big river next to our house."
Mother:"You mean the Erie Canal dear."

Infact, Wayne, your dream of a park with pond could become a park with the
canal ala Dewitt or Chittenango.

Some local (sorry, most are Syracuse, hey, I'm a native :) sites that could
be modeled:
-Clinton Square Monument
-Carrier Dome (Yeah, right, imagine the White bricks for the roof)
-MONY Towers
-State Tower Building
-A&W Root-Beer (a Cortland staple)
-A Small Courthouse based upon Onondaga's in Syracuse
-Feel Free To Add Your Local Landmarks Here

Also, I'd like to request some zoning flat out for a Train Station.  I think
it fits right in with the whole character of the town:
Also, any buildings in this:
folder are still available.

I'll start to work on more buildings, but I can't promise I'll actually come
out with any specific type.  My new Train Station started as a school, then
a church, then a private home and then finally in the current incarnation.

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Wayne Sardullo writes:
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it.

Luck-Knee-Ville  yes thats the correct way to pronounce it.

Nate you've sent chills down my Spine. This is what we needed....

Now we have a Roadmap to work from... Your Insight as Mr Burns would say....

"Excellent....!"

I have a TOTAL visual of the town in my head and will try and get some layouts
on paper as well as digital for everyone...

I'll be excited to see the process in action... You see you have opened up a
WONDERFUL can of worms..

HiTechnic will need a Contractor to build the Fancy Building. It just so
happens that K-Salm Construction is Stationed in Lucnyville and could assist in
the design.   First though the Inspector has to approve everything and give
permits to HiTechnic..  Good this is it will bring more jobs to the area...

Great Job

Wayne
A Town Hall should be zoned out (undetermined builder so far), as well as a
Tourism Bureau (ditto).  >
In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Nate Jacobs writes:
The story of the city that could.

Lucnyville, pronounced "luck-knee-ville"??  had been at one time a bustling
frontier town.  It had modernized and grown with the advent of the
industrial age and grew to be an important stop on the railroad for
maintenance.  By the early 1920's the city was on the forefront of a
bustling growing economy.  Not only were the railroads an integral part of
the economy, but also a new thing called the automobile was making its way
into peoples lifes.  Lucnyville survived the depression of the 1930's to
early '40's by hardwork and the determination of the Mayor to help everyone
he could.

The '50's and '60's were a growth time for Lucnyville.  Train traffic was
ever increasing and it had even garnered a stop on the coveted Sante Fe
Superchief run.  Tourism was playing an integral part of the economy by this
time.  Standing on the outskirts of the town was a fort that had been the
site of a major battle during the Civil War.  The I Corps of the Grand Army
of the Mohawk had managed to withstand a siege by the CSA Army of the
Tennessee for 2 straight weeks until the III Corps of the AOM was able to
arrive and push the AOT troops away.  Thousands arrived each year to behold
the monument to all those who died in the siege.

However by the 1970's and 80's the city began to decline.  Railroads lost
importance.  People had less money to travel and visit historical landmarks.
Lucnyville began a decline.  Thousands left the city in search for jobs.
Only the poor and the lucky stayed put.  Even the Mayor, Third Generation
Mayor, only ran for one term and then left Lucnyville.  By 1996 the city was
all but deserted.  The only things remaining in town were the post office,
fire and police departments, and a few scarterings of houses, victorian
houses, that reminded all those who remained of times long-ago. • Main Street shops are a must, as is a residential area (ala Victorian)
On the
outskirts the fort sat empty--the city park commission broke--the old
railroad buildings sat empty waiting to be used.  And the once proud
Superchief line now only stopped once a week.  What was left was in
disrepair.  The only highlight of the city was the trolly that was left in
working order thanks to dontaions from the local citizens.

It wasn't until the latter half of 1999 and 2000 that the city finally began
to come to life.  The former Mayor had come back, this time with some plans
and money.  He brought with him a new contract from the railroads to use the
maintenence buildings again.  A grant from the National Government to make
Fort Standing Rock a national historic landmark.

Nate, just some clarification.  Is Fort Standing Rock now a National Parks
run site, or just on the register of historic places?  The former is a plus
for me, as this is my life's ambition (to become a NPS Ranger).

He also got the local
electrical supplier to base their maintenence vehicles in the city.  Even a
technology company named Hitechnic(TM) had decided to move its headquarters
to the city.

Addendum:  A local Real Estate Developer/Tourism Company, JMR Corp., would
like to offer a small set of rooms in a vacant saloon to "The LUCNY
Commission on Housing and Urban Development" to temporarily function as
their home office.
White Building on Left:

The city slowly began to take shape.  First a KFC(TM) appeared, then some
new houses.  Fort Standing Rock really began to attract more tourists.
Santa Fe made more regular stops in the city.  A rival railroad company
began adding some line through the city.  Large construction projects began
to take shape on the horizon.  Lucnyville was back!!

What appears above is just my idea of what I think of when I hear Lucnyville
and some of the ideas I have heard before.  By no means is it a complete
history, but in my opinion a neat place to start with lots of room for
improvement.

Suggestions, Comments, Additions Welcomed.

Nate

Thanks, Nate, Lucnyville is going strong!
-John Rudy