 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9385
Re: Web controlled robot back up and ready!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 00:34:44 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jordan Bradford wrote:
Well, mostly ready--I put the 'bot together during SNL last night...

Anyway, with much further ado and fanfare--

http://sparky.i989.net/legocam.htm

Try it!

If you have ideas for improving or enhancing the RoboCam'Bot, or other ideas for
a web controlled 'bot, drop me a line.

Take care,

Dave K

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 !!!!

I just collected three blocks with your robot. Remote control like this is for
some reason really cool. I remember looking at your SourceForge page about this
a while ago -- I’m glad to see it working.

One problem I noticed was when I turned the robot to the right. The camera’s
view became obstructed after a while, which I think was the camera’s cable.
Turning to the left didn’t do that.

Going to build a better wiring harness this week.  THe 'bot has a power cord and
the Vision Command Camera cord running to it.  It's hanging from a stick about 3
feet above the board rightnow--going to make something better.

Suggestions: I wish I could pan the robot’s camera to see the surroundings
better. Another thing you could do, which would be easier anyway, is set up a
second webcam that overlooks the box the robot’s in, so the user could see it
from a third-person view.

Love to set up a second cam--but for that I'd need another PC to run it--can't
have Webcam32 handle 2 cams at same time on 1 pc--Grr! Looking into it, though

Finally, the interface could use work. I’m interested
in HCI (Human-Computer Interfaces), you see, so I can’t help but point out
interface problems.

THe arrows have always been a problem.  I wanted to make it neat and compact,
but it's still pretty ugly.

The numbers are Wait Times from NQC, but your right, something a little more
obvious woould be good.

What are the numbers exactly (10, 50, 100)? Inches, cm, rotations, what? I
quickly figured out that 50 means a larger movement than 10, but it would be
nice to know what those values are. I wonder if it would be easier if you made
your interface look more like a joystick or something more analog, like a modern
game controller that senses how far you’ve moved the stick. In this case I think
experimentation would be the way to find an interface that’s best.

I also never figured out what the “Hello” and “Yippee” buttons do.

THose buttons make the 'bot beep--when I had audio enabled, you could hear the
'bot over the 'net.  RIght now, though, the audio portion is disabled.

I definitely like the program, though, and am interested in setting up something
like this for my school’s computer science club. I’d have to get one of those
RCXs with an AC adapter, though. Apparently yours has been running over 21
hours!

My LDCC RCX on my train layout's been on longer--a month thus far.

Thanks for the feedback.  If you could drop me an e-mail with a suggested 'human
interface layout' if at all possible, it would be appreciated.

Dave K