 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9404
Re: Web controlled robot back up and ready!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:29:09 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Mike Thorn wrote:
Well, I just spent fifteen minutes banging around and it's really cool!
Makes me want to put a webbot together.

Hope I didn't wake you up. It's 5:45am here. :-) (don't ask what I'M doing
up at this crazy hour)

The only suggestions I would offer are...

It would be cool if the camera could be closer to the floor to allow a
wider range of view. At first I felt pretty restricted. I got used to it,
but it would help to be able to see what you're doing on a large-scale
view. Having the camera down at the bot's point of view would be cool too.

The camera position is a compromise between seeing the grabbing mechanism so you
can stack blocks on top of one another, and seeing as much of the layout as you
can.  I do want to set up a secondary cam for an overview, but the software on 1
pc won't handle 2 cameras, and the bandwidth needed for 2 streaming videos would
be a factor.

Also, the response time is pretty slow. Is there a way to speed it up?

The webcam software is set up to 'give out' packets as fast as the client can
receive them.  At home (on the local LAN) it's very fast (obviously).  My friend
living 10 km away, and also on a cable modem, says that the response time is
moderately good.  It has something to do with your connection speed, how busy my
server is, and other things.  I'm going to tweak the video streaming tonight
when I get home, to compress the image more to make it smaller, but I don't want
to sacrifice too much quality (not that the webcam has much quality to begin
with, but eh, what are ya gonna do?)

Thanks for the responses.

Great work! The rover held up great for me and I wasn't being the best
manipulator. :)

Thanks!

Dave K

~Mike