 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5385
Re: Is it wrong to cut up flex tubing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:31:49 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Derek Raycraft writes:

This leads me to my question.  Is it wrong to cut flex tube?  With
Pneumatic tube, you are expected to cut it to length.  No-one will
complain about using modified parts if you've cut different lengths of
Pneumatic tube.  Does this apply to Flex tube?

Derek

p.s. No I'm not going to cut up light saber blades.
p.p.s  Yes I'm board today and needed something to write about.
p.p.p.s.  Where did I put my x-acto knife?

I'm tremendously glad to see the consensus on this one!  I've taken my knife to
many a flex tube, usually with nagging doubts as to the purity of that act.
The ultra-purists in NELUG seem comfortable with it, but it's nice to know that
others feel the same way.

You can see a number of flex tube pieces cut to length here:

... and my new favorite technique, cutting small bits of flex tube just long
enough to sheath over the connector extension on a minifig hand.  Suddenly, you
have a minifig hand that fits inside a hand, and can be used in the design of
weapons, tools, and many other carried items!  One example I've tried out is
sliding a small piece of flex tubing over the "handle" hand in this gun design
by Mladen:

That application might not be very appealing to all, but it certainly opens up
new doors for less-chunky minifig items!

-s

X-posted to .build