 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5373
5372  |  5374
Subject:
Is it wrong to cut up flex tubing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:54:23 GMT

I'm trying to get the tilt mechanism of my tilting train lower to the
ground so I can make the joint between two cars lower to the ground.
This will make it easier to connect the two cars with a more useful
walk through.

First step was to remove the train wheels from their holders and use
those 1x2 plates with the groves on the sides to hold the wheels.  This
reduced the height of the tilt mechanism by a full brick.  I was very
happy with that.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/miscellaneous/tiltblock.gif

The other problem is the height of the tilt elements themselves.
Originally the tilt was being held by two 3 long half beams, but I was
only using one end hole and the middle hole.  (see picture above) This
meant that it sticks up by one hole unnessesarily.  Now with the new 2
long half beams I can reclaim this height too.  However with the 3 long
half beams I can use a cross axle in the middle hole, with the 2 long
half beam I cannot.  The crosses won't line up.

So to fix this problem I could use light saber blades, flex tube, or
pneumatic T-connectors.  The light saber blades and the shortest flex
tubes are too long.  They would stick out the sides too much.  The
T-connector is the perfect size.  The problem is the T part of the
connector is still in the way.  I can't point it down, there just isn't
quite enough space and if I point it up it takes up valuable room I'm
trying to reclaim.  Now I still gain an extra plate of clearance by
using the T-connector, so it is still better solution.

This leads me to my question.  Is it wrong to cut flex tube?  With
Pneumatic tube, you are expected to cut it to length.  No-one will
complain about using modified parts if you've cut different lengths of
Pneumatic tube.  Does this apply to Flex tube?

Derek

p.s. No I'm not going to cut up light saber blades.
p.p.s  Yes I'm board today and needed something to write about.
p.p.p.s.  Where did I put my x-acto knife?