 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17059
Re: The difference between hobbyists and collectors...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:53:31 GMT

At 09:03 AM 1/9/07, David Koudys wrote:
Get all the money you can--in whatever means you can

Wait--that's not it.

Be fair.

That's better.

When selling something, start at fair market value and let
'capitalism' take its
course--if someone does pay you a gazillion dollars for something, then, hey!
bonus for you.  If you start at something that's significantly
higher than fair
market value 'cause you just want to screw your neighbour and get
loads o' cash,
then I don't have the time of day for you.  Good Day sir!  I said good day!
Intent is all the difference in the world.

Good stories, Dave.  But, for the sake of argument, let's say some
guy as a $20 LEGO set from 25 years ago.  He has a friend that says,
"I'll give you $50 for that set."

At this point, the guy may say "no" because to him, it has more value
than that.  The set may represent delivering newspapers for a month,
to earn enough money to buy it.  He may say, "I worked hard for this
set.  I place the value at $400."

It may turn out that noone else sees that much value in his set.  Or,
it could turn out that several people think it has more value than that.

Who's to say what "fair market" price is?  25 year ago, a fair price
was $20.  Of course, a couple years ago, a fair price for gas was
$1.50/gallon, but now I'm paying almost twice that.

If that guy can find one person willing to pay $400 for the set, then
he picked the a fair price.

Steve