 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17026
17025  |  17027
Subject:
The difference between hobbyists and collectors...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:20:10 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6063850114&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RUPX_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=160068533510&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=UpSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

A set from the 1960's--Set #345

(LUGNET Ref-- http://guide.lugnet.com/set/345_1 )

K, how many people right here in our very group can build this set with the
pieces they have in their collection?

(Peeron instructions -- http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/scans/345-1/?ct=1
)

Without the shrubs and trees, I could probably build at least 6 copies--my
limiting factor would be the antenna and the headlight brick--have about half
dozen of each

And yet, $390.00 US for around 100 pieces.

Look people--LEGO bricks aren't gold.  LEGO bricks aren't even stamps.  They're
little plastic building bricks made by a company based in Denmark and millions
of them are produced every single year--many of which are in that exact set.

If you happen across an 'old set'--goody for you.  I'm happy for ya!  I happen
to have a few myself, and pretty pleased with that fact.

If you want someone to pay 400 bucks for what could be amassed on Bricklink
(sans box) for a fraction of that price--well, then you're a person that is just
a money grubbing fiend.

At least, in my opinion.

I would love to see a day when TLC would just drop a few 'old' sets on the
market just to screw with these people.

But that's just me.

Dave K
-who wants the first 're-release' to be the Galaxy Explorer...