 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17039
Re: The difference between hobbyists and collectors...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 20:02:54 GMT

If you want someone to pay 400 bucks for what could be amassed on Bricklink
(sans box) for a fraction of that price--well, then you're a person that is just
a money grubbing fiend.

I guess in this particular instance it's worth what somebody would pay for it.
Being someone who's sold a single LEGO piece for two grand, I can see both sides
of this. Like you, I wouldn't pay $400 for a set I could easily build from my
own collection (and I've done that
[http://www.ilenn.com/blog/archives/2005/10/my_latest_set_-.html]). But when you
start talking about what's a collectible (whether it's through intent, like
Bionicle masks, or unintentionally, like the Maersk Sealand, or through age,
like the set in question), it's a whole new ball game. There are people who will
buy it just for what it is and represents. For example, at one time I had
collected all 117 Bionicle masks, because I could (and I don't know of anybody
else who owned all of them). But I also own a built copy of Maersk Sealand, not
because it's collectible, but because I like the model.

I'd also say that we all, to a certain extent, fall into the "collector's"
arena. If we were just looking for functional bricks to build things, there are
several brands to use - and many people do use more than just LEGO-branded
bricks. But for the most part, AFOLs purchase LEGO brand bricks, because of the
product's quality (perceived or real) and the relationship we feel we have with
the brand. It's worth a little more (for most of us) to collect the "real"
thing.

Even though the collectibles market is not really part of the LEGO/AFOL mindset,
it's there, and I'm not sure it does the rest of us any harm for them to be out
there.

I would love to see a day when TLC would just drop a few 'old' sets on the
market just to screw with these people.

They did, about a year ago, on eBay. They went quickly, for lots 'o dough. It
was kinda scary watching how fast the bidding went.

- Kelly