 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17030
Re: The difference between hobbyists and collectors...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 17:10:52 GMT

K, how many people right here in our very group can build this set with the
pieces they have in their collection?

I never had that gate.  I REALLY wanted that gate as a kid.  Oh wait...I do...I
have a Metroliner.  I think it's in white.

I have a few in red if you want 'em

If you want someone to pay 400 bucks for what could be amassed on Bricklink
(sans box) for a fraction of that price--well, then you're a person that is just
a money grubbing fiend.

Well, some people want collectable stuff.  It's a complete set.  There's something to be said for a set of, a collection (key word) of, intact, all same vintage, objects.   Even if you put it out of spare parts, it's not the same.

And that's what separates the fan from the fanatic.  A LEGO piece produced cira
1972 is technically different from one produced in 2007.  Yet, for the hobbyist,
they do exactly the same job and in exactly the same way.  If I need a white 1 x
4 brick--I don't care if it was made in 1969 and came in set 345--I care that
it's a white 1 x 4 brick.  It's to be used in my LEGO creation--I don't care
from whence it came.  I care about *using* it.  Again, the difference between
hobbyist and collector.

Now, it's a strange sentiment that's foreign to me.  I don't get collectors, and
I find scalping distasteful.

That's it right there.  Hey, I have no issue in 'getting your money's worth' or
'making a legitimate profit' for efforts rendered, but I'd make a fair bet that,
back in 1969, that set # 345 didn't cost around 400 bucks.

But it's like saying I want a real Gucci bag or a real Rolex watch:  A fake
one's probably 95% just as good, operationally.  All the parts are there.  It
tells time.  But it's not "real" and it's not "true".  So people pay for the
real thing.  And there will always be people who will take advantage of that.  I
suppose that's par for the course.

Again concepts foreign to me--I'd like to think I buy quality stuff for use.  I
don't need a 400 dollar corded hand drill to put up drywall, but Im also not
going to buy a 15 dollar Jobmate drill that'll last for a sheet and a half.

I think I learned htis lesson back in high school, when Nikey shoos were all the
rage--I bought a 100 dollar pair of shoes in '82 and they lasted 6 months.

I then bought a paor of 'no name' shoes from Zellers for 30 bucks, and they
lasted through the rest of my high school tenure.

I would love to see a day when TLC would just drop a few 'old' sets on the
market just to screw with these people.

Ah!  But that's not what these people are collecting:  They want the original
real thing.  That itself is not duplicatable.

All the power to 'em.  As for me, I could have 6 copies of that very building on
our train layout for the next show and any viewer wouldn't be able to tell the
difference, and I'll have 400 dollars in my pocket.

Calum

Dave K