 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17055
Re: The difference between hobbyists and collectors...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 23:09:06 GMT

I've seen it before--John Doe has an excellent idea for designing something
new and great.  'Ahh, but I need part 'x' and only Richard Roe has part 'x'
and he wants a gazillion dollars for it.'

I guess the thing I'd point out is that collectors really do value their pieces
and their sets as more than just the sum of their parts.

Here's the thing: for example, if Galaxy Explorers were $20 a pop, they'd be
gone. Anyone who was first on the scene would scoop 'em up. And I mean anyone--
some 7-year-old wants one and his parents could buy it for him. But as it is,
they're around for sale for a while. And, furthermore, you KNOW that if you paid
$400 for your Galaxy Explorer, you're NOT going to treat it like crap. If you
bought one MISB, chances are it's going to get treated with extreme care. It's
sort of a preservation of heritage-type thingy.

For instance, I recall getting asked about old Star Wars sets from 1999 or 2000
or so. Where could you still buy them, and how much would they be? If it weren't
for a bunch of people who decided to stock up and save them for later, there'd
be a depleted supply, and you'd rarely ever see any new ones for sale. Jacking
up the price gives people who are serious about the collecting aspect a chance
to get the things they want to get.

DaveE