 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17056
Re: The difference between hobbyists and collectors...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 11:45:44 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
They did, about a year ago, on eBay. They went quickly, for lots 'o dough. It
was kinda scary watching how fast the bidding went.

Which leads to another point.

I've read some messages in this thread where people has labeled sellers with
various negative labels.  But in marketplaces like eBay, buyers have the power -
it's often bidding wars that run prices up to ridiculous levels.

If I offer my 1975 whatnot (MISB, of course) for $1, and the final bid comes out
as $10,000, how does that make me evil?

Steve

Steve,

You're just evil by being you ;p

I think there's a difference between starting a bid out at a buck and 'seeing
what happens'--I always liked that--than starting a bid or putting a 'buy it
now' at 400 dollars for what was only 25-30 yesra ago a 10-20 dollar LEGO set.

One is 'free market', one is 'price gouging'.

At least, that's how I see it.

Dave K