 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16166
Re: [rtlToronto] rtlToronto21 page update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2006 13:56:03 GMT

Derek Raycraft wrote:

Chris Magno wrote:

but to compare this to a REAL game of tug of war......

your saying that we either HAVE to pull the bot off the table, OR,
keep the marker closer to your side for the full 3 minutes?

No it only has to be on your side at the end of 3 minutes.

While you have valid ideas, Im not sure what your "motive" is behind
this rule addition. I dont see any advantage to forcing us to watch the
  game for the full 3 min, if one robot is clearly winning.

What other strategys exist that would offer an advantage to a robot to
either stay tied, or "losing" for 2 min 15 seconds then at the last
moments, show off a strategy or prowess that would make it win.

in other words why wait till the end of the 3 min?

What about 2 equal bots? are we supposed to just sit and watch the
stalemate for 3 minuites?

If they are equal as you say, you'll be watching them for 3 minutes
regardless of this rule.

true, I agree, and in other games, many of the entrants will mutually
agree to end the game early out of boredom from watching the stalemate.

as to playing out the rope, it is still valid, you just cant play out
more than 18", otherwise you lose.

Right, but before you could play out around 8 feet before it was a
problem.  This makes it interesting to do.

I see what your saying, but then this just forces people to build an
edge detection into the robot.

so that while your robot sits there playing out the rope, other robots
will contine to drive backards off the edge.

maybe we need consensus from the rest of the players?

I would like others to PLEASE weigh in on this.  I dont want to make
this decision based on info from just derek or myself.

if we add the rule i proposed:

(your robot wins if...)

* Within the 3 minuite time limit, the marker flag has been pulled
into/past your 18" start line.

then this defeates the strategy of playing out 8' of rope and having
your opponent driving itself backwards off the edge.

yay or nay,

these are YOUR games, please help us decide

Sure, I have no problem with that.

http://www.kingston.ac.uk/~ku00329/Handbook%20-%20Rules.pdf
http://www.tugofwar-twif.org/get.asp?table=Rules&veldnaam=PDF&id=25

Most of the real tug-of-war rules are meant to stop people from getting
hurt.  We're not worried about that here.

In fact isn't destruction one of our secret goals. :-)

Derek

yes destruction is a secret goal, thats why I never see you enter game
where your precious bricks might get scratched.

:)

:)

ssssttssss noise with the B U R N  noise afterworlds.  (70's flash back)

Chris