 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 1474
Re: train bridges
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment, lugnet.org.ca.monlug
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 16:33:37 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
"Tim Strutt" <heidi.strutt@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Here's the piece I was going to use for the top arch:
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=6108

That is a beautiful arch piece!

I can't see having any lateral clearance issues with that piece. Great!

Note also that real railways use a "clearance envelope" that is NOT a
rectangle, it has missing/rounded corners as well. So having more clearance
in the center of a tunnel arch opening is very prototypical.

Take a look at autoracks some time. They have rounded tops because they are
conforming to the clearance envelope that was in effect at the time they
were designed. (at the time that the conventional 3 layer autorack was
designed, it was one of the tallest cars contemplated)