 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12406
Re: Aargh...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:46:58 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Brian Davis wrote:

   Awe, come on, only roughly half of us did <grin>. And to give us some credit,
we at least threw off the monarchy, and don't (yet) have different official
languages in different regions. Yet...

The monarchy gives us attractive currency and a subtle heritage we don't need to
reassert every July 4th.  As for official languages, yeah, you have me on that
point.

   I see your point, like the fact that the recent "LEGO is marketing violent
toys" thread was based on a religous group... oh, wait, that was a Canadian
group.

   Stupidity, unfortunately, is a universal problem. Americans *do* tend to be
slightly louder about it, but we're very very far from a monopoly.

Well, in all honesty I think the Bionicle line is pretty violent.  The figures
have angry, evil looks, and carry sharp, pointy swords and tridents.  They have
fierce claws and seem to imply a certain violence to them.

Compare and contrast to the positively tame spears and swords of early Classic
Castle figures.  No, I've always felt Lego was going down hill in that
regard--but Bionicle was a new low for that.  Some people love it, but for me, I
can't really tell the difference between Bionicle and the Transformers and GI
Joe of my childhood years.

Calum