 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12404
Re: Aargh...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:59:29 GMT

Last week when a coworker mentioned he thought I was unusually paranoid, I
answered that I wore that badge with pride.

The email from the Toronto Christmas show organizer that said we were to bring
the "Interactive Building Table" (I don't frickin know how they got this idea) I
knew was a bad thing.  It's one of those messages where someone has assumed
you'll do something, and to ensure their assumption is the same as reality, they
tack in a "You're doing this, like we said, right?" even though you never even
mentioned it.

THIS is what I feared:

"New this year is an amazing LEGO train layout, DCC controlled villages and a
building table for the youngsters!!! "

http://www.caorm.org/Pages/tts.html

Wonderful.  This is only one website--and these people couldn't figure out how
the Internet works since most of them think electricity is a fantastic new
invention.  I wonder how many paper flyers, PR releases and newspaper ads now
say this.

Parents come to this thing with kids in tow, and they ask, "I thought you said
there was a Lego Building Table?".  Organizers point finger at us, even though
THEY made this pronouncement. Lovely.

I just can't think of a route or damage control out of this one.

Calum

Well, just got off the phone with Frank, one of the shows organizers.  He
himself just got back from a train show in Ottawa, where the LEGO train guys had
the table for kids to play with LEGO Bricks.

Anyway, after speaking with Frank, I was polite but quite clear that we weren't
bringing a LEGO table for kids--taht we had neither the 'man'power (sorry Janey)
or the kits to run something like that.  I also assured him that we were all
very much enthusiastic about doing the show and displaying our layout, and
answering questions and such, but there would be no 'interactive' stuff for the
kids.

Bottom line, he mentioned that he doesn't know how that this idea got posted on
teh website, and if people cause us grief about it, we are to direct them to the
shows organizers (him).

So that pretty much means, to me anyway, that it'll go pretty well.

Dave K