 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12389
Re: Aargh...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:57:34 GMT

"New this year is an amazing LEGO train layout, DCC controlled villages and a
building table for the youngsters!!! " • [SNIP]
I just can't think of a route or damage control out of this one.

The truth will set you free..., or something lame like that.

If it t'were me:  Notify the show organizer that there is an error on their
website, there will be no building area for the kids.  Note how that is
tactfully different from say they made an error, or they are mistaken.  Try
not to get roped into discussing reasons why you can't just throw one
together anyhow (although there are plenty, including manpower, cost,
choking hazard, etc.).  Simply tell them that the display has been
planned/prepared for months, and that table isn't part of it, *and* that
everything is fully ready for the Show and you are all looking forward to
helping to make it great.  (Note more tactful positive feel-goody stuff,
hinged with "and" not "but").

I wouldn't update your site(s) trying to refute the claim of
another site..., just causes confusion and looks bad.  Simply don't do the
table.  Don't bother with signs at the show, either.  It just draws attention
to what is "missing" rather than all the awesome stuff that is there.  The
vast majority of people simply won't know about the missing table anyhow,
and/or won't care.  For the few that ask, ask where they heard about it (to
confirm the source), and then tell them there was an error, and that no such
table was ever planned.  Maybe you could add, "It sounds like an
interesting idea to consider for the future," to give them some consolation
that you like the idea "they brought to you."  If they instead whine and
make a fuss, call Security, as you don't want their type or their snot-nosed
little brats at your table anyway.  :]

No show is ever as-planned or as-advertised anyhow.  Look at airshows..., the
pre-show propaganda only goes on about all the things that were there *last*
year, because they don't know who will show up *this* year.

That's my unsolicited input.   ;]

Regards,
KDJ

LUGNETer #203, Ontario, Canada