 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12387
Re: Aargh...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 06:25:17 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
I say we can listen to people complain all weekend, watch kids pout, parents
sneer and get fingers pointed at us..... [OR] Ground control to Major Tom.....
we can gather our wits, and provide them what they assumed we would.

First, Janey, thank you for offering.  But we probably shouldn't...

While the offer is much appreciated, I think that effectively would mean we have been strongarmed by the organizers.   They're asking for us to provide, at our own time and cost (considerable), a free "feature" of their event.  It's the same as asking a plumber to help you fix your sink for free.  It also sets a poor precedent for us: Do it once, and suddenly every frickin organizer wants you to have the table.

It's not the same as coming to the event to show a display.  We get something
from that, because I think most train fans here want to show off.  The kids
table thing is something we get almost nothing from.  Maybe George's Trains
should have a Lego play table instead.

The desire to have new families and younger people is probably a big one on
behalf of model train show organizers to drive attendance numbers.  The brutal
truth about model trains is that the hobby is dying.  Literally.  It's old white
men milling about, waiting for death on retirement.  You can't keep a large show
on with those numbers.

Do you wonder why they advertise Thomas the Tank Engine so heavily at train
shows?  It brings in the money: Hobby shops sell the high margin Thomas products
to young parents or grandparents.  It's an easy killing:  There's way more
customers for a Thomas wooden train toy than say a prototypical EMD SD45.

Where this entire fiasco comes in is that they realize Lego trains has a draw
for young families who will add to the attendance numbers.  We're being coopted
to be the partner of the sad-ass Thomas "play area" (unattended Brio Train
playtable with dirty patterned rug and six folding chairs surrounding it) or
that creepy man who always inevitably sits next to us.

I think we need to have a graciously worded statement on our website that states
no such table exists and that said feature of our display was a lie fabricated
by the show organizer.  Then anyone who asks, we have the same graciously worded
statement repeated to them verbally.

At the show, I think Dave and I need to have a long chat with the organizer.  It
should be a polite, but very clear and deliberate statement, that should this
ever happen again, we will not do another show with this organization.

As far as I'm concerned, we're in a sellers market for train shows here.

Calum