 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12401
Re: Aargh...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:17:11 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

However, didn't you guys get an event kit from Jake with a K8 in it?  I'm not
sure, but it seems that's exactly what those are for.

No, we did not, precisely for the reason it came with the attached string that
we set up a play area.  We thought about it (I think JeffVW suggested it
initially) but decided against it because it meant someone had to bring them to
every event and set it all up.  We felt a play area of noisy children at the
side of our events wasn't something we wanted.  It didn't align with our group
goals--which admittedly are usually pretty vague but doesn't include the phrases
"furthering the Lego community", "increasing sales of Lego" or "supporting kids
and their families". :)

Of course, I know someone may still be required to watch the play area.  I'm not
sure about Canadians, but here in the US, if someone was hurt because they
swallowed a LEGO, the parents would sue whoever they could saying no one was
babysitting their child while they were off smoking, and eating fast food...

This is the reason why I live in Canada and am proud of it.  You folks also
voted Bush in again too.  (As a side note, I never realized there were so many
retarded American religious folk out there--that Karl Rove is a genius!)

Maybe once you inform them you did not volunteer for this, you can offer to loan
them a K8, which THEY can use for a building table...

Well, we don't have one.  Allan Bedford got one for Hobby Show 2003-we gave out
all the freebie stickers and buttons, but he never set up a play area with the
bricks.  But Allan is a separate entity, anyway.

Even if we had the K8, loaning them this box would be additional effort on our
part (we're really short on space in the car to begin with) and inevitably we
want nothing to do with it.  The fact Lego Canada has done nothing with these
folks is proof we  shouldn't bother.

Calum