 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10926
Re: What in the...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:53:38 GMT

Calum you write to much.  :-)

I agree with you completely, with a possible exception for your
assertion that Marketing knows best.

I think that in hind sight the colour change will probably buy Lego very
little in comparison to the trouble it has and will cause with their
customers.  And I don't just mean the "Adults" (I feel I must use that
term more and more loosely these days.)

As a kid I would have been dismayed by this change.  I don't think it
would have cost Lego me as a customer but I can see it turning others
off.  I don't see it grabbing them many new customers.

Among all the ranting and raving I've heard some very good arguments why
the colour changes are a mistake both philosophically and economically.
  This doesn't however change the fact that what's done is done.

The cost of making a change like this is probably in the 10s of millions
of dollars.  Even if the original business case for making the change is
dubious the business case for changing it back makes even less sense.
For a company that is borderline on profitability at the moment Lego is
making the right choice and pushing forward with what they have.

If Lego never got involved with the Lego Fan community these colour
changes would still have taken place.  So what do we do.  Drive Lego
away from us for not consulting us about something that is not our
business.  Or do we embrace the good feedback and view behind the
curtain we have been getting from Lego and accept that we are never
going to get everything we want.

We should be gratefully for what we have and stop being a pack of cry
baby winers.

Derek