 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10922
Re: What in the...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:19:36 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Tony Kilaras wrote:
Dead on accurate, Calum. Unlike us old-timers, most AFOLs just don't have the
perspective that comes from being around when there was literally *no*
interaction between TLG and the fans.

Yup.  We have it good now, and I can't believe people would dare to criticize
it.  I don't know what it is.  Maybe like spoiled children, we've had it too
good.  Maybe enthusiasts think they have some right to dictate the product or
the direction of the company.  I'm not sure what it is, but I'm scared of it.
Because the one day the ever nice Jake McKee is gonna lose it, and it's not
going to be pretty.

Someone at Lego might one day say "These nutballs are out actively freaking out
our customers in the aisles and tying up our Consumer Affairs lines with their
self indulgent complaints!  Let's ditch this AFOL support thing.  They're not
worth the trouble even if they help us reach out to our real customers."
Imagine standing at a Ford dealership and telling potential car buyers how your
Focus wasn't the exact colour you expected.  I think the cops would be called
VERY quickly.

It amazes me that the complaints of less than a hundred (how many REALLY wrote
in a letter.  It's easy to post a rant (hey, look at this one!) online, but
honest, how many did?  20?  50?) would be considered in the AFOL mindset enough
to change a multiMILLION dollar supply chain and production schedule.  Do these
people not get it?  It's not like my dear Angela at Pacino Panino down the
street remembering to buy sweet peppers instead of hot ones for me, just to be
nice because I asked the last time I was there.  This is a huge change, and
honestly, if I was Lego's product team, I wouldn't care what some nerd in
Sausalito was complaining about.  I have well paid marketing people who know
better.

(Side note: In 1986, my godmother bought a Chrysler Aries with this hideous
light green colour I termed "lavatory green".  I would have thought this colour
would never return.  When I went to shop for a new car, I found the 2004 Altima
comes in this EXACT SAME COLOUR.  Maybe old warm grey will be hip again in 20
years :)

I don't want to some like some old fogey, because I'm not, but I couldn't have
imagined in 1994 that someone from Lego Canada would call US to help with a
project.  Or that we'd have catalogs designed specifically for enthusiast groups
to give out at shows.  Or the many other things Lego has tried to do for us, in
mutual benefit.

Yet, everyone can only gripe at the fact they have to pay postage.  Or that no
one has listened to complaints about that stupid colour change.  They post
pictures of minifigs with knives in their backs and form revenge plans to return
opened boxes to local stores.

Sheesh.*

Calum
* Did I offend anyone with that one?  Mario? :)