 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 230
Re: More fun with TD...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 03:26:49 GMT

Chris Gray wrote:

"James Brown" <galliard@shades-of-night.com> writes:

I'm having fun with this... It's like puzzle pieces.  :)

<Grin>

A few comments on layout proposals:

- how important is it to have a 2-way connection between a pair of
    otherwise independent loops? That can take not much space if it
    is done when tracks from the two loops are close together. The
    Oct4 layout does that an interesting way - with reversing loops
    doing the job. Watch out for the electrical connections on
    that scheme, but it ought to work.

I think it's a good idea.  Especially if the train yard is off only 1 line
(likely), then we should either be careful to have a 2 way connection, or
make sure that our engines run in 1 direction only.  Keeps down the
5-finger switching I'm so guilty of. <grin>

- I have a *ton* of BURPS, and lots of basic bricks. So, we can build
    a fairly large section of raised terrain/mountain if we want to.
    Personally, I think that would be very cool. Also, having full-
    height mountain essentially gives us more space, by having things
    on two levels a bit. E.g. we could have a part of an outer loop
    going through the largish mountain area, perhaps going across an
    open gap (where there is a stream, which can be done by raising the
    lower track just one brick, so we could put stuff under it). Then,
    we could do something like have a yard on top of the raised part.

<snip>

That's a Good Idea, I think.  I also have a ton of BURPS, and lots of basic
bricks.  Between Chris & I, I'm sure we could do a fairly large area
raised.  Something like WAMALTC did at the Greenburg show (tried to find a
good pic, got lazy and didn't) - their city area was raised enough for a
train to go underneath.

Just did a quick count, and I have somewhere around 40 12x24 brickplates.

James