 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 239
Re: More fun with TD...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 23:11:06 GMT

"John Koob" <jkoob@nospam.v-wave.com> writes:

James mentioned (I think) that he could build a table or two and store
some tables locally.  If there is more table space, the layout won't look so
crowded. For the next show, we should try to aim for more realism, IMO.
This means that the only elevated track should be the monorail.

An alternative I've been thinking of is to have a largish mountain area,
and have a small loop that runs entirely on the mountain. This avoids
long regions of sloping track (although I have thoughts on that, too).
Basically, I'm trying to get a bit away from the "toy train" look, by
having something other than a layout that is mostly right angles, and
all on one level.

Note that I don't see tracks going under the mountain area as a problem.
The whole area can be built from those 12 x 24 x 1 plates, and the
entire outside edge can be removable in sections (it isn't needed for
support), allowing lots of access to the insides. The space needed by
a standard oval isn't much, and if half of it is inside higher mountain,
and we just run a small number of very short cars on it (say a scaled
up version of the logging train), then hopefully it won't look too contrived.

With that, and one end of longer tables (the end with the mountain?) we
could have 3 trains running simultaneously.

Oh yes, the evil has struck me even more. I ordered 2 pairs of switches,
3 sets of straights and the freight-and-crane this morning.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg@ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/