 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 243
Re: More fun with TD...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 21:43:53 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Michel Magnan writes:
- don't worry about having space for my logging stuff - I've already
   taken it apart, so next time will be something different, unless
   you all really want it back.

I loved your logging train, I definitely want it back.  We can go from 4 wide
to 6 wide to 8 wide!

The narrow gauge train was cool. :)

- I have a *ton* of BURPS, and lots of basic bricks. So, we can build
   a fairly large section of raised terrain/mountain if we want to.
   Personally, I think that would be very cool. Also, having full-
   height mountain essentially gives us more space, by having things
   on two levels a bit. E.g. we could have a part of an outer loop
   going through the largish mountain area, perhaps going across an
   open gap (where there is a stream, which can be done by raising the
   lower track just one brick, so we could put stuff under it).

I think the tunnel(s) would best be built straight, because of the
clearance needed for turning Big Red.  Other 8 wides might need even more
clearance, and we don't want to be rebuilding the mountain every year.

Even with Big Red's clearance factor, it won't be a problem to build a
mountain he can turn in.

Perhaps a standard lower level tunnel 96 studs long, 14 studs wide and 14
bricks high, and upper tunnel(s) either perpendicular or parallel to the the
lower one.  We could cover the opening of the unused tunnel with grey brick.
How careful do we have to be about allowing access to the interior?

It's not a problem to build something with a wall that can come off easily.
This fortress here:
  http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/mm2.jpg
the entire left side of the mountain hinges open, and the flat areas on the
right all come off.

I had just thought of the idea of a stream this week.  Lifting a section of
track up a brick or so over a waterway would be neat.  I have incorporated a
waterfall into the new version of the mountain.  Are there plates with a
printed waterway that is straight?  Using a whole bunch of the plates from
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6748 makes a very tortuous waterway!

There are straight waterways.  I've got one or two, I think.  It could also be
easily done with blue plates & bricks.

I was trying to make the water glisten in blue, has anyone opened the
rotating fiberoptic light from the shuttle and other sets?  I was hoping
to change the light from red to blue, and put it under some clear plates, at
the base of the waterfall.

I've had pretty good results just using multiple 9 volt lights.

James