 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 226
  More fun with TD...

I'm having fun with this... It's like puzzle pieces. :) Here's some more table layouts: (URL) of these days I'll get bored with musical tables, and actually lay some (virtual) track... What do other people think about how the tables are laid out? (...) (24 years ago, 6-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: More fun with TD...

(...) Oh yeah... Steve - I don't have a convenient way of taking screenshots - could you capture some of these layouts as jpg's for Chris? (and others without Trac Designer) Thanks, James (24 years ago, 6-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: More fun with TD...

(...) Ben Fleskes (who designed them) used to have the plans on his Web-site, (URL) the links don't "click" (at least for me). That may be on purpose, as it says at the bottom "If you would like detailed drawings of the modules or have questions (...) (24 years ago, 7-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: More fun with TD...

(...) <Grin> A few comments on layout proposals: - how important is it to have a 2-way connection between a pair of otherwise independent loops? That can take not much space if it is done when tracks from the two loops are close together. The Oct4 (...) (24 years ago, 7-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: More fun with TD...

(...) I think it's a good idea. Especially if the train yard is off only 1 line (likely), then we should either be careful to have a 2 way connection, or make sure that our engines run in 1 direction only. Keeps down the 5-finger switching I'm so (...) (24 years ago, 7-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: More fun with TD...

(...) They are up on the PNLTC site at: (URL) P (24 years ago, 7-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: More fun with TD...

I am not sure how solid the tables are if there is a full opening on one side of the layout, I think it might open up fairly easily. I we have an opening in the outer ring, then more legs have to be made. There will be 2N+2 legs, where N equals the (...) (24 years ago, 8-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: More fun with TD...

(...) It would allow a train to run uninterrupted on both loops, such as we did at the end of the show. Plus as others have said, more options to do switching, other the the 5 finger way. (...) The neet thing about Matt Bates program, is that it (...) (24 years ago, 8-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: More fun with TD...

Michel Magnan wrote in message ... (...) at (...) I have trans-dark blue plates and bricks which could be used to with lights behind them. Trans-red plates with flickering lights worked well for James' stove. I know I have these (all in trans-dark (...) (24 years ago, 9-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: More fun with TD...

Michel Magnan wrote in message ... (...) That (...) If we have an extra table or two on the outside, place buildings in the center of the 61" span. Any derails would occur near the center hole or near the outside edge, where there is easy access. (...) (24 years ago, 9-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: More fun with TD...

(...) An alternative I've been thinking of is to have a largish mountain area, and have a small loop that runs entirely on the mountain. This avoids long regions of sloping track (although I have thoughts on that, too). Basically, I'm trying to get (...) (24 years ago, 9-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: More fun with TD...

(...) Hey - We warned you... 8-) SRC (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Bridges (was Re: More fun with TD...)

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Michel Magnan writes: <snip> (...) Bridges are what I do - I can't concieve of a NALug layout that I would not be able to provides the bridges for. (If we got a major influx from other clubs or TLC I might have a problem, but (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: More fun with TD...

(...) OK. I was just throwing ideas around. :) (...) Well, presumably, a 61 inch span could be gotten at from either side... We almost need a part of the layout being 61 deep if we want to have any depth for more buildings. (...) Good point. I was (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: More fun with TD...

(...) The narrow gauge train was cool. :) (...) Even with Big Red's clearance factor, it won't be a problem to build a mountain he can turn in. (...) It's not a problem to build something with a wall that can come off easily. This fortress here: (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: waterfall (was More fun with TD...)

Thanks John, When I get to that stage, I might borrow those plates from you. I guess James has used regular lights, (but it would take a lot of them!), to do something similar. James could you bring it for a demonstration, the next time we meet. (...) (24 years ago, 12-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: waterfall (was More fun with TD...)

(...) When I take apart my castle (near future, I'm afraid), I'll do my best to salvage the lighting set-up. At the moment, it's buried near ground level in a ~2 x ~4 x ~2 foot module - not exactly portable :) James (...) (24 years ago, 12-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)