 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 215
  Re: latest layout photo

Regarding it... I like the variety of track. Looks like lots of room for town in the top right, and industry in the top left? About the only thing I don't like is no train yard... Maybe kick the mountain higher on the layout, and run a short ladder (...) (24 years ago, 5-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

James Brown wrote in message <39DBE42C.527B8E3C@s...ht.com>... (...) mountain (...) I agree with the need for an obvious train yard. One idea would be to squeeze in two more 30" tables at the bottom center. Our total layout dimensions would (...) (24 years ago, 5-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

James Brown wrote in message <39DBE42C.527B8E3C@s...ht.com>... (...) mountain (...) I agree with the need for an obvious train yard. One idea would be to squeeze in two more 30" tables at the bottom center. Our total layout dimensions would (...) (24 years ago, 5-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

You are right, the switching yard stinks. But we can't fit 6 tracks AND have room for structures or a storage yard, in 30.5 inch width. Maybe moving the switching yard to the right side and the mountain and elevator to the bottom would be best. More (...) (24 years ago, 5-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

Thanks James, see (URL) for the description that goes with the layout. You are right about the industries and town areas. Se other posts about the train yard, will have to be redrawn in a different location. I tried to fit as many sidings as (...) (24 years ago, 5-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

(...) Have a look and tell me what you think... (URL) mountain (upper left) has the main line running under in via a tunnel, and the elevated section goes over and through it. A curved section would be carved out to make room, just like the (...) (24 years ago, 6-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

(...) Hmm. I'll confess I have a *really* hard time judging how elevations and so forth look from a 2D overhead. That being said, I think I'd prefer if the elevation changes were limited to what we need to have for the terrain. I realize that we're (...) (24 years ago, 6-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

Hello Steve, The new train yard is much better. But, the elevated section doesn't really tie in to anything, it is just there because. The clearances are inadequate, both for the trains, only about 12 bricks I think, and the monorail track is about (...) (24 years ago, 8-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

(...) Well it ties into the mountain - Chris was talking about making the mountain even bigger, and that's fine by me. The layout photo as it stands might be a bit off, but I'm sure could make it work - especially if the clearances are for the (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

(...) My main problem here is that the main-line loops all have places where the train has to go through the curved part of a switch. The outer loop has three. That could restrict operation at high speed, and unattended. If you can fix things so (...) (24 years ago, 11-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

(...) Finally got around to drawing up what I meant... (URL) the 2000_v1b.tdl file. James (...) Another thing that we could do (I'm positive that either Chris or I have enough individually, and certainly if we combine resources) is raise the entire (...) (24 years ago, 11-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

(...) Love it - Raise the whole town section. The outer loop (with switches straightened) could run underneath, and the incline could bring the inner loop up to it. The bridge would connect the town and mountain, and then slope back down the (...) (24 years ago, 11-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

(...) Here's the photo for the TD impaired... (URL) confess I don't notice a difference between it and Michel's.) Please make any future layouts wider than they are tall. If I have time, I'll make up one that fits my descriptions to date. SRC (24 years ago, 11-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

(...) Look on the right hand side. The mountain has been moved up about a table, and a three spur ladder-style yard broken off the outside loop. (...) Why, out of curiosity? More of a pain to turn it into a jpg? James (24 years ago, 11-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

James, The switching yard looks better. Unfortunately moving the mountain up, means a curve leads into it, requiring significant clearances. Not insurmountable. Lifting the city portion is a neat idea, but I couldn't help but notice that the WAMALTC (...) (24 years ago, 12-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

(...) a (...) Solvable. :) (...) Heh... No, but it's not a bad idea. :) I can, without having to stretch my collection at all (although my big castle will have to come apart - which is OK, it has to anyway) raise a 61" square by 20 bricks. I suspect (...) (24 years ago, 12-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

(...) I think we have enough Lego for a building like that - the catch is we might not have enough for other buildings. I seem to recall that the one thing we're all short of is town stuff. (windows & doors, and minifigs, oh my.) Bricks we can do (...) (24 years ago, 12-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

(...) Yes - Also viewability - Unless I'm the only one whose monitor is wider than it is tall... :-) SRC (24 years ago, 13-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

(...) I have about 30 of the 4 wide x 3 high opening windows in various colours. About half include the shutters. 23 of the 5 high x 4 wide x 2 thick doors (all have red frames - some yellow door, some white). About 20 of the yellow or red sloped (...) (24 years ago, 13-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

(...) And, just to be ornery, I'll continue this one. :-) My thinking has mostly been centered around what I like, and what I think I ought to be able to contribute. So, here is what I'd like: - a goodly stretch of straight, paired, track, with (...) (24 years ago, 13-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

(...) :) That's cool. I may also do a S@H order over the winter, and get some bulk windows, for a skyscraper. I've got a decent amount of 4w3h windows & a bunch of classic windows, too. Enough that I could do a few more houses without strain. James (24 years ago, 13-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: latest layout photo

(...) One of the things I noticed about the large buildings at the PNLTC Guiness layout was that windows were often black bricks or bricks of a contrasting color to the building, or no bricks at all. It looks quite good, especially from a distance, (...) (24 years ago, 13-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Layout Photos

(...) (URL) a closer view of the mulitilayer loop mountain, with my 60" double bridge above it... (URL) course, I may not be able to make much of anything... (URL) being able to get the most basic fundamental brick (for me) has put a damper on all (...) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Layout Photos

Hello Guys, If we are ever in a rush to design a layout, we could do what the Vancouver group is doing, use Xdrive.com. It seems to be working quite well for them. See (URL) do you still have the discontinued DACTA order numbers for technic beams? (...) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: technic beams

Hello Steve, Here are a few options for technic beams: Contact someone in Europe, to see if they could purchase and forward to you the black technic beam packs. Just because North America is out doesn't mean other countries are. Did you find out if (...) (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: technic beams

(...) <snipped Michel's suggestions> If none of those pan out, you could try phoning Countryside Toy Outlet, in the St. Jacob's outlet mall: (URL) carry the full line of Lego products, & discontinued stuff. I think they also purchased a lot of the (...) (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: technic beams

(...) I suppose I could use blue or some other color, but for a railroad bridge, it's not going to look right unless it's black. If anyone has a DACTA catalog that has black beams in it please LMK. Thanks for the tips Michel and James. I called (...) (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Layout Photos

Michel Magnan wrote in message <39EF828C.E0629C77@t...et.net>... (...) In my list, there are no numbers for black beams. And I recently found out that the yellow beam pack is no longer available. In my case, I'm lucky I stocked up on the yellow (...) (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)