 Off-Topic / Geek / 5106
Re: Multilingual webserver
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 14:26:35 GMT

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 02:01:07PM +0000, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
Cool idea - not sure I see why you can't use a plain Apache, with a
semi-smart redirect-map...  It should be fairly straightforward to
implement, actually - two MySQL tables (one for dirs/language
translation, one for file/language), and a dynamic map.

I think it would at least require an external rewriting program just
to handle the mapping of the accepted and available language to a
selected language.  And I can't see how you can avoid infinite loops
using the Apache rewritemap directive.

Yes, you use an external script for the mapping...  But it is a fairly
simple perl script.  And the infinite loops are avoided by having the
actual URLs be off a separate tree - /lego/dat/model.dat could be
rewritten as /real-files/12351/58273/model.dat...  And just have the
rewrite rule not apply to /real-files.

Secondly I would like to run a smaller, more secure web-server instead of
Apache.

Fair enough.  There are a number of alternatives out there, I believe.
I would not recommend writing your own, though, if more security is the
goal.  Have you thought of stripping apache from all the modules you
don't need?  It can get very very lean!

:)

--
Dan Boger