 Off-Topic / Geek / 5105
Re: Multilingual webserver
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 14:01:07 GMT

Dan Boger wrote:
Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

In case anybody is curious about what I mean by a "multilingual
webserver" the basic idea is no only to serve pages in the preferred
language of the reader, but also to redirect them to URLs in their
preferred language.

Cool idea - not sure I see why you can't use a plain Apache, with a
semi-smart redirect-map...  It should be fairly straightforward to
implement, actually - two MySQL tables (one for dirs/language
translation, one for file/language), and a dynamic map.

I think it would at least require an external rewriting program just to handle
the mapping of the accepted and available language to a selected language.  And
I can't see how you can avoid infinite loops using the Apache rewritemap
directive.

Secondly I would like to run a smaller, more secure web-server instead of
Apache.

Or am I missing something?

I think the critical part you missed is the infinite loops, but there may be a
way around them.

Play well,

Jacob
--