 CAD / Development / 10387
Re: Massive LDraw file repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 05:29:13 GMT

And one more comment.

It would be cool to have some automation for site owners as well.  For example,
Jacob wrote a script that auto-generates descriptions of the files on his site.
All he does is move a file to his web folder, and a script runs periodically
(via cron) and finds all ldraw files and catalogs them.

I know most authors don't have the ability to run a script like this on their
server.  But I know that some sites are using gallery web apps authored by AFOL.
It would be cool to have such web apps ldraw aware, making it easy for people to
find the ldraw files on a site.

And if this were added to Brickshelf, that would be uber cool.  And why can't I
already search Brickshelf for ldraw files? I've tried it (just to make this
archive) and the results are very bad, not very useful at all.

It would be cool actually, if any time an ldraw file is added to brickshelf, the
repository is automatically notified and updated...

Or if someone was using a gallery app and they add a file, if the repository is
automatically notified and updated.

Or if someone runs their own site, they can just pop a file in any old folder
and their own script automatically notifies the file repository and it gets
updated.

Anyway, these are all pipe dreams.  I don't have the means to make any of them
reality.  But if I were able to, this is how I would shape it.

Comments?