 Off-Topic / Geek / 4662
Re: New LUGNET server hardware details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:06:08 GMT

Ray Sanders <rsanders@svic.net> wrote:
I hope that you are planning to use this extra storage for mirroring (I
forget the numbers... RAID-1 ?). Mirroring will reduce your critical
path failure from a HD, but will (remember statistics) halve the MTBF.
With one drive at 50k hours MTBF, two drives would be 25k hours. So in
the end you really end up with 120GB per boxen, which should be plenty.

Yes, there's going to be basically insane amounts of redundancy -- not
just live mirroring, but staged images so that any corrupted data isn't
instantly propagated to all the backups.

GEEK ON

Oh, what, the above part wasn't geeky? :)

On traditional SCSI vs ATA, mirroring works much better on SCSI because
SCSI allows the RAID driver to issue seek commands to the multiple
drives (detached without tieing up the channel) whereas traditional ATA
would preclude that (required seperate controllers per drive). SATA may
have addressed that, but I'm not sure.

With SATA, you only *get* one drive per channel. So no worries there.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>