 Administrative / General / 11533
Re: New LUGNET server hardware details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:49:56 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller wrote:
You'll notice that we have almost half a terabyte of storage. This is hard
to avoid with today's hard drive prices, and is actually a good thing.

I hope that you are planning to use this extra storage for mirroring (I forget
the numbers... RAID-1 ?). Mirroring will reduce your critical path failure from
a HD, but will (remember statistics) halve the MTBF. With one drive at 50k hours
MTBF, two drives would be 25k hours. So in the end you really end up with 120GB
per boxen, which should be plenty.

GEEK ON
On traditional SCSI vs ATA, mirroring works much better on SCSI because SCSI
allows the RAID driver to issue seek commands to the multiple drives (detached
without tieing up the channel) whereas traditional ATA would preclude that
(required seperate controllers per drive). SATA may have addressed that, but I'm
not sure.
GEEK OFF

Ray

fut to .offtopic.geek