 Off-Topic / Geek / 4660
Re: New LUGNET server hardware details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 06:50:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Todd Lehman wrote:
(Writes to disk
are far less frequent on lugnet.com than reads from disk are, except for logs,
which may go on the secondary disk.)  Initially we'll be running ext3 but are
looking at ReiserFS v3 and v4 (the latter of which has wandering logs to greatly
reduce comitted write latency).

Don't forget to turn off atime updates ('noatime' option in FreeBSD fstab) on
all filesystems that don't need it (everything but var usually).  This will
prevent all those reads from inadvertantly creating filesystems writes.

Brickshelf too is currently running on ATA disks I'm sorry to say.  We will be
going back to SCSI as soon as our budget allows.  Frequently accessed files are
cached but try doing a "random gallery" sometime.  Turning off atime updates
helped alot but concurrent access is extremely poor with ATA.  We will be
updating to SATA now that FreeBSD 5.2.1 seems to support it successfully,
but I doubt that will significantly help concurrent reads (brickshelf typically
serves about 50 URL's per second so even a small percentage of uncached reads
will slow things down alot.

KL