 Off-Topic / Geek / 4657
Re: New LUGNET server hardware details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:43:40 GMT

Hmm, no tape drive or CDRW.

Nope, I hate tape backup (too slow, too small, too expensive, too unreliable)
and CDR's are too small and too labor intensive.

I agree completely on the utility of tape. Speed, size, cost, and reliability
are always a problem; tape systems seem to always be a generation behind what
disk drives need (and with the relative demand curves, they are not going to
catch up).

Have you considered a portable self-contained large drive? Costco sells a fast
160 GB Maxtor for $200 with a Firewire/USB 2.0 interface. You can consider the
entire drive package as the media. It's built small and relatively rugged. We
are thinking of keeping our family photo collection on one of these drives.
(Easier to grab in the event of fire/flood/earthquake).

-Ted