 Off-Topic / Geek / 4650
Re: New LUGNET server hardware details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:47:44 GMT

The specs:

   SuperMicro 1U Rackmount System -- Chassis and Motherboard
   2x Intel Xeon 2.66Ghz Processor w/ 512MB Cache *
   1Gb PC2100 DDR266 ECC REG Memory (2x512MB Modules)
   2x Seagate 120GB SATA 7200RPM SerialATA HDD
   Intel 10/100 and Intel 10/100/1000 Ethernet Adapters
   Integrated Video Controller
   Floppy disk, CD ROM, and so on, of course

   Red Hat Linux 9 installed, but will be replaced with BU Linux.

Interesting that the HDDs are serialATA rather than SCSI. However from my
experiences this week no bad thing. One server with dual HDDs in a mirrored RAID
config had the SCSI controller backplane fail. However replacing it lost all the
data on both drives, so much for redundancy. Also had another SCSI controller
fail (two in a week!) but with less severe consequences.

However a two server setup backing up to each other over a Gb link should be
pretty resiliant although as mentioned in another post, off-site backup is
definately recommended although I'm sure I'm trying to teach my grandmother to
suck eggs!

Anyway good luck and have fun

Tim
PS have you seen this server http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/cluster/?