 Off-Topic / Geek / 4661
Re: New LUGNET server hardware details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:53:15 GMT

Kevin Loch <kloch@opnsys.com> wrote:
Don't forget to turn off atime updates ('noatime' option in FreeBSD
fstab) on all filesystems that don't need it (everything but var
usually). This will prevent all those reads from inadvertantly creating
filesystems writes.

Yeah, we're going to examine all of the data and see which should be
mounted with which special options. Some stuff will be mounted 'sync' to
reduce the chance of data loss in the event of power failure or system
crash, neither of which should happen, but better safe than sorry.

A cool thing in Linux is that directory trees (or even individual files)
can have these attributes toggled. That way, we can be more fine-grained
with these options to get the best performance/data security balance.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>